Last week was one of the most challenging weeks of toddlerhood yet. The whining and clingyness was at an all time high. The normal early morning singing that wakes me up right on schedule was replaced with grunts of an unconsolable toddler. The nights of peaceful uninterrupted sleep from 8-6:30 were interrupted with cries almost hourly over the monitor.
I chalked it up to a full weekend last weekend but that simply was not the case. Wednesday he was all kinds of out of sorts. Waking up grumpy at school, crying because Claire took his "choo choo", tears all the way home that couldn't be sung away.
Friday it clicked. Teeth. Two Year Molars. Why had I not thought of this sooner? There were signs that I missed. Wet shirt neck, diaper rash, fussiness, biting on things {luckily not children or people}. I checked my ever faithful BabyCenter Toddler timeline and sure enough. Molars. He has one set but that second bottom set were on their way in.
This make so much more sense now. After a good dose of Motrin at night time, we are back on the road to happiness.
A trip to Sonic always makes things better. For him, a vanilla 'shake milt', for mommy, a Sweet Tea. Sonic helps everything. And, being with my boy at Sonic, and handing him back his ice cream, hearing him saying 'yummy shake milt' erased the past week of difficulty.
Weekends are always good for naps. For whatever reason, he insists on napping with one of us on the couch. We tried the bed on Sunday {by his request to take a 'nap bed'} but it was a fail. So, being the sucker that I am, I laid down with him. The sacrifices I make for this child. Oh. You didn't know naptime on the couch for 2 hours= sacrifice. Well, now you do.
Some weeks are hard. Some weeks are down right miserable. Some weeks I too want to cry myself to sleep. But. The sun always comes up tomorrow, it might just be hidden by the clouds.
Today is always a new day. It started out with clouds, {literally} but the sun is shining now. Praise the Lord for fresh starts.
Mondays are good for fresh starts.
Happy Monday!




It's a sweet, sweet age that I can't imagine being in. I give my full adoration to all mamas out there!
ReplyDeleteSorry y'all had a rough week! I agree though, Sonic drinks make everything better! Hope he gets those molars soon!
ReplyDeleteAh teething! I remember Ben going through that stage. He used to get really flushed cheeks and often nappy rash when he had teeth coming through. Bless their hearts.Rx
ReplyDeletehttp://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/
love this post. soooo true! I'm so glad he's feeling better. i feel so bad for them. because they can't let us know how bad something hurts and they can't really comprehend it themselves of WHY. they just know they want their momma.
ReplyDeletethat sonic picture really shows how big he is getting. he looks like a young boy there and not a babe. Sweet thing! Yes...sonic does make everything better!
My favorite thing was making the sacrifice to nap with my boys on the couch. I miss those days. Hope he's feelin better.
ReplyDeleteLove that he likes vanilla shake milts. He is too cute! I can't wait to have kids. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't have said it better myself.. Praise Him for fresh starts and new days. He truly knew what He was doing with the start of a brand new day, huh? I'm so thankful for them. As a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend. You name it. I love your sticker faces! Seriously- makes me miss you guys so much more! (how weird/creepy am i? LOL... Okay, now that I'm caught up, I'm off to email you! Love, love, love.. and squeeze that precious, handsome little man for me!
ReplyDelete