Mar 6, 2012

Hunkered down

I've never really minded storms.  As a child I remember being 'scared' of storms but looking back I think that was because I could get my mom to sleep with me.  

Storms never really bothered me.  I like a good rain.  I like a good thunderstorm.  Makes for a cozy afternoon.

But Friday's storms might have just changed my thinking.

We closed work early on Friday for these storms.  Lance's work closed early.  They don't close early.  

This was set to be a whopper of a storm.


And indeed, it didn't disappoint.

After an afternoon of sunshine and unseasonably warm temperatures, getting off work early, picking up Easton right after nap, laughing off the weathermen because it was so perfect outside, we got that storm.

I have never in my life heard anything like this.  It sounded like it was raining marbles for about 5 minutes.  I'm pretty sure it felt like an hour or more, but it couldn't have been more than 5 minutes.  It was the longest 5 minutes I've experienced in a while.

Easton and I hunkered down in the bathroom and tried to take our mind off of the deafening noise going on overhead.  He sensed my fear as he was starting to get worked up too.  I brought the iPad in and tried to entertain him with that, but truth be told, we were both a little distracted.

I kept running out trying to see what was going on but it would just get more loud.  I feared the worst.  

After it finally died down and we were able to survey outside, I was simply in awe of what our yard looked like.  It looked more like a snow storm than the rain/wind/tornado storm they had predicted.  Our yard was covered in marble size hail.  Covered.  In some spots it was up to 2 inches. It was simply like nothing I've ever seen before.  

We did have about 10 shingles come off of our new roof, but they've already been fixed, thanks to Lance and Uncle Matt.  Other than that, we were all safe and sound.  Thank the Lord.    

We really fared well compared to some.  The storm headed east where there were reports of baseball sized hail.  

I'm pretty sure that the next time the meteorologists get antsy, I will too!



4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! didn't Nashville flood last year? What is up with the weather there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you all were safe! we had that terrible tornado last week just a couple hours away and its just the absolute saddest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You guys got it way worse than we did! We live in East Nashville .. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys were safe! My sister lives in Nashville so I was keeping a close eye on the storms! They looked so scary!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I'd love you for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...