Feb 20, 2012

How do you it all???

Sometimes I get this strong urge to be a stay at home mom. That I need to be at home.  That I WANT to be at home with Easton; that this rat race of to and from school and work is such a waste.  No.  Not a waste, because yes I'm making money to help provide for our family and help save money for our new house, but a waste, because I'm not with him.  And he's growing up way too fast. 

He's almost 2 folks.  23 months old yesterday.  Where did the time go?  Perhaps even if I stayed at home I'd feel the same way, like where did the time go? But I'd know that I'd have been right there beside him every step of the way.  But, right now.  I'm not. 

He's at school most of the day.   I get 5-6 hours a day with him during the week.  An hour in the morning, 30 minutes to and from school and about 3-4 hours at night, depending on the night.   Most of our morning is spent rushing to get ready to go to school, and our afternoon rushing home to make dinner, clean up, do laundry, get baths, etc.  The weekends are our real times together. And I cherish our weekends. 

However, there is a silver lining. He goes to a fabulous school.  He learns so much.  He is leaps and bounds above other kids his age in some aspects.  He can fill in the blank on the Pledge of Allegiance, he can fill in the blanks from 1-10, he knows most of his ABC's, he can say just about everything we can, he is social, he is outgoing, he can share.  If I was at home, I don't know that he'd know all of this.  I would like to think that I'd be organized and routine enough to have 'school' for a few minutes throughout the day where we work our letters and numbers and colors.  But I've never had that chance, so I can't say for sure.  Either way, I'm so thankful for his school and the opportunity he has to be there while we're apart.   

But this time apart comes with a price.  And a lack of patience some days on my part.  I know I'm not the only mother that works outside of the home, but I'm really struggling to find a balance.  Where I can fulfil my duties as a wife and mother and work outside the home.  Right now I have the feeling, that I do a lot, but do nothing WELL. 

Take this morning for example.  Before we even got out the door I was a flustered mess.  He hit is head in the bathroom, he was crying, it was time to change clothes, he didn't want to change clothes, he didn't want to wear his jacket, he wanted to take the loudest.toy.possible. in the car with us, he wanted to walk down the steps himself, he didn't want to get in his carseat, the list could go on.  All of this before 7:20.  And let me tell you, he's a GOOD BOY.  Really.  He doesn't give me a lick of trouble most days, other than not listening the first time asked.  But normally, with enough patience from me, and a few attempts, he makes a good choice and does what is asked.  And we go on our merry way. 

But this morning, I was on edge.  I was running late.  I was tired.  SO, I was low on patience.  And he's the one that paid for it.  And that's not fair.  It's days like this where I just want to say screw it, we're staying home.  I want to put my yoga pants on and take it in slow motion.  Just the two of us.  You know, open the blinds, let the sunshine in, make up the beds, read books, take a walk, eat lunch, take a nap, play outside, play blocks, throw in a few chores here and there. 

But, I can't.  We have to rush.  We have to beat the traffic.  I have to drop him off.  I have to go to work. 

I know there are plenty of SAHM's who feel the same way.  Overwhelmed, overbooked, under appreciated,  not enough hours in the day.  I really cannot imagine all that goes into staying at home and being everthing to the kids at all times.  I'm sure they'd like to come sit in my cubicle for a day some days too.  Whether you work at home as a SAHM (yes, a SAHM DOES work) or outside the home, it's a challenge to find your groove.   

I also know that there would be days if I was a SAHM that I would long to sit in my cubicle and have 8 hours to myself. Where I could go to the bathroom on my own, eat lunch in quiet. And to be quite honest, I do like my little cubicle. My little home away from home. I love my co-workers and my job. It's fulfilling to add an extra deposit to the spreadsheet, ya know. But, some days, it's just a bit much. I just want to do one or the other. It's hard being both. Every day.

So, cherish that time at home with your little ones.  Because today, today I'd like to be at home with mine. 

How do you find balance? In your situation, how do you do it all???


bits of splendor monday

5 comments:

  1. I struggle with this every day, too! And some weeks I even hate the weekends, too, because I feel like we have to squeeze so much into them to make up for being apart all week that they end up being too stressful for all of us - it's a very fine line. But then on the random days every now and then that I do end up at home with A all day I wonder if I could actually be a full-time SAHM because we both seem to get bored pretty quickly and the day never seems to go as planned. ;) Who knows if we'll ever find a true balance - I guess we just have to make the most of the time we do get with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stay at home, and struggle with "Am I enough"? I am no teacher, and don't know anything about Toddler development, and I see kids his age that do go to day care that are leaps and bounds ahead of him with learning. Kids learn so quickly from other kids. There is also the challenge of keeping him busy and occupied and not having any time to myself! I do enjoy it but its a challenge for sure. My husband told me last week he was gonna work on his off days cause that was easier than minding a Toddler! ha
    That being said I know its super hard to have to get to work on time and all too. I can't imagine because its hard for us to get out the door to go anywhere in a timely fashion.
    Being a mom us just hard in every circumstance I think! Sorry you guys had a rough morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, we ALL have mornings like you did. It's part of being a mom, it's totally normal. Don't be so hard on yourself. And please don't think that ANYONE is doing it all. It's not possible. What we can do is focus on the things that are important to us and do them well. That may mean that some things fall behind or we don't give them our all but I think if we are focused on the right things, everything else falls into place.
    Give yourself grace. You are doing an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think that the only way to do it all to is to give it all to GOD. You will find tremendous peace and grace. Our pastor once told me that the reason God gave us babies was so that we could grow together, and that once the baby could remember what happened from day to day all of our mishaps would lessen. Please don't think that anyone does it all we don't. You are a beautiful, loving and caring mom. don't forget it. Philippians 4:13
    xxO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm impressed with how much he can do at 23 months! I think you wrote this so perfectly! There are positives and negatives to both work out of the home and in the home moms. All we can do is do our best and I promise when he grows up he will never remember you being flustered trying to get to work. He will remember the evenings and weekends of fun. I was a latch key kid at 8 (I know shocking!) and sure there were days I wish my parents could pick me up from school but I enjoyed afternoons to myself.

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I'd love you for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...