May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Today being Mother's Day (actually I'm writing this Friday night before Mother's Day.  We'll be in Chicago over Mother's Day and I don't want this day to go unnoticed) I thought I'd write a lil some'in, some'in for my mom, my best friend.

So...here goes...

Mom,

I've been thinking a lot about your hands.  When I look down at my own hands, I see your hands.  Though my hands are unmanicured and have a little less bling on them than yours, under it all, I still see your hands.


Mom's hands 5-6-11

Your hands have done so much for me.  When I was a baby your hands changed my diaper, fed me, bathed me, much of the same activites my hands do these days.  Then as I got older, your hands led me in to school, made turkey sandwiches, sponge rolled my hair (even though it never turned out quite right), wiped my tears.  Your hands have done a lot over my 29 years.  Your hands drove the car that took me to gymnastics and to the pasture or saddle club to ride horses and those same hands held the handle bar of the bike that rode with me night after night on countless bike rides.  Those hands played restaraunt for hours on end in the bathtub simply because a smaller set of hands needed a friend.  Your hands rolled down a tiny brown paper bag filled with Sixlets and brought them more times than I can count after daycare.  Your hands were a source of comfort when I needed stitches near my eye, when I broke my arm, when things didn't go my way, when my heart was hurting.  Your hands, they've always been there.  

Though our home was not always perfect, you did your part to make me feel like I was the most special little girl in the world.  You were my hero.  You ARE my hero.  You always said you loved me, you always had a hug to give or a kiss or a squeeze of the hand and better than that a smile.  Oh, your smile.  It can lighten up a room.  You never let me see the tension and stress you might have felt when I was younger.  As far as I knew you were the happiest woman in the world.  We had each other.  That's all that mattered.  Me and you.  Peas and carrots. 

Now, your hands are even more special.  They not only have raised 2 girls, they care for a little boy now too.  When I see your hands taking care of Easton, loving on him, playing with him, making him laugh, it melts my heart even more. 

Your hands also care for many others.  They care for Ali and Ronnie and even good ole Ganny.   I know those hands get tired, but they just keep on giving.  They give without wanting a thing in return.  One day I'm sure my hands will be taking care of you just as yours are taking care of Ganny's.  And, it'll be my pleasure to return the favor.  It's the least I can do after all you've done for me.  I promise to be there for you as you've been there for everyone else.

Those hands.  They've done so much.  Seen so much.  Been through so much. 

So, when I look down and see my little stubby hands, and see your hands, I'm honored and proud to have those hands.  I hope to be as good to Easton as you were to me.  I pray that I will always have a hand to offer him when he falls, when he's happy, when he's sad, any time he needs it.  There's never been a moment when I needed your hand that they weren't there.  Not once. 

Today, Mother's Day, please know how much I love you and just how much you've meant and still mean to me.  I love you mom. 

XOXOXO,
Ann

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness, Now that i've gotten to where I can see to type you a reply, YOU ARE AMAZING ANN! This is priceless. This is the best gift any mom could ask for. You are so thoughtful and not sure how i can be so lucky !! I am so very proud to be YOUR MOM! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, Ann!! That was such an incredible post. I had some tears at the end. How BLESSED you and I are to have the mamas that we have. I only pray to be the same mom that my mom was for me. They are some very big shoes to fill and I know I can not do it alone, but only with the Lord's help. Your Easton sure is blessed to have your hands taking care of him. You are an amazing mommy and friend. I love you dear!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I'd love you for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...