Jun 1, 2010

Plastic Pools, Wavy Lays & Lightening Bugs

It's the unofficial start of Summer and I couldn't be happier- unless of course, I had about 12 more weeks maternity leave, but we won't think about that right now.

Saturday, mom and Ali spent the day with Easton and I.  We headed to WalMart to get the necessities for a day on the deck- sunscreen for my fair skinned lovie- SPF 50, a sun hat, plastic swimming pool and lunch fixins. 

Rewind about 15 years...gosh, that sounds like forever ago, but the memory is still so vivid.  When I was little, after church on Sunday's (Summers stick out most of all) we'd stop at the grocery on the way home.  We'd unpack the groceries and spread out anything and everything one could possibly want for lunch on the counter.  We'd have deli turkey, ham, bread, condiments, chips, fudge rounds, dr. pepper, the works. We would eat and be together what seemed like most of the afternoon but I know that it wasn't but probably 30 minutes...because then we'd head to the pool...or to the couch for an afternoon nap.  It might not sound like much but it's one of my fondest childhood memories- just being together and doing the simple things. 

Back to today...or rather, this weekend.  We headed to Wal-Mart to get some outdoor goods and decided to have lunch on the counter at my house.  When your nursing, you've got 3 hours plus or minus a few minutes, start to start and we were cutting it close on hour number 3...so there was no time for a lunch stop.  We got the basics for lunch and headed home.  We had it all spread out on the counter just like old times.  We had Turkey Sandwiches, Wavy Lays, Iced Sugar Cookies (you know the ones you get in the bakery that have just as much icing as they do cookie...mmmm) and sweet tea.  It felt like summer- plastic pool, wavy lays...what could be better than that?  Saturday night I even caught a glimpse of lightening bugs.  I can't wait till we can get a jar and collect lightening bugs for Easton and put them in his room so he can watch them twinkle while he falls off to sleep.  Ahhh, Summer.  It's my favorite time of  year. 

We waited to take the first "swim" until Sunday when Lance was home.  I'm not sure if Easton got the full effect of swimming.  It was cloudy and hose-pipe water is COLD.  We did pour in some hot so it wouldn't be as cold.  I think on a hot, sunny day, he'll love it.  I sure hope so because mommy and daddy sure do!  

I might have found my nap time solution---take a swim and move the pack-n-play outside!


Mmmm...look at those rolls...Heavenly!

Hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Ann, this is precious!!!!!!!! Makes my nose tingle big time! Yes, we did have fun in those days. You and I. I remember them well. Wouldn't change a thing. Easton is so very lucky to have you and Lance as his parents. I am very very proud of you each and every day. Summer is my favorite too. I'm sure you knew that. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I am loving Easton's fat rolls!! You have to help me figure this blog thing out. I have a blog name but that's about it. I want to be able to post pics so that Michael's parents can feel connected. Maybe I'll come over for a blog lesson:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, those rolls ARE heavenly!!! I love a chunky, healthy baby:)
    We do the airplane on the shins thing all the time! Hey, that's tummy time enough! He's getting so big, I can't believe how fast it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I'd love you for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...